Words of Kindness

(Because it's 4:30 am, I'm going to count this as yesterday's post.  For both of you who are up this early on Tuesday, you really should get more sleep.)

Monday proved to be one of those days.

Not the normal bad Monday Monday, but a huh-didn't-expect-that-when-I-woke-up kind of Monday.

Initially, I had some work anxiety going into the day.  Just had some stuff to deal with that I wasn't looking forward to.

As I sought council on my stuff, my anxiety grew.  Without getting into too much detail, I was going to have to handle a situation like a grown up.  Sometimes adulting isn't fun.

Fortunately, the adulting went well, and I was able to continue with my day.

During the last period of school, I received an email from a coworker.  In it were kinds words of appreciation.  I think maybe 2 sentences.  And, I felt like I lost 2 pounds instantly.  It was simply amazing to me how I felt a weight- I didn't know I was carrying- lift.

Now, Tony will tell you that "words of affirmation" is not my love language- quality time is.  (If you ask me, the whole love language thing is silly.  I just want people to love me and let me know.  You can spend time with me, tell me I matter, give me gifts or a hug.  Even covering my lunch duty will make me feel loved.)

But, yesterday that email allowed the exhale my soul had been longing for.

Proverbs 3:27 says,
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in your power to do it.

The verse is usually applied as financial guidance- a repay your debt verse.

But, yesterday made me wonder how our lives would change if we applied the verse to our relationships.  How often do we withhold a kind or encouraging word?  Not because we are rude, but because we are busy.  Or because we are insecure and worried about looking/sounding awkward?How could we lighten someone's load my letting her know that she is seen and loved?   How many people would relish just a moment of validation and appreciation?

Maybe that's a challenge.  A gratitude throwdown if you will.  ;)

Off to the gym in pursuit of the mystery bicep!
L

Comments

Popular Posts