Baking Day.

The kids are off from school today because it's Labor Day here in Panama.  I decided that we were going to spend the day getting breakfast and lunch treats in the freezer since we had the whole day available.  Carson, I knew, had a birthday party to go to which made it an even better day because one less person makes things easier.  Except when that person is Chloe.

When the birthday boy's dad got here to pick up Carson, he offered to take Chloe to the beach with them, too.  Before I could nicely explain that I needed her in the kitchen today, she was dressed and ready to go.

Fine.  Be that way.

Camilla agreed to help me if I would play Uno with her this afternoon.

Fine.  Deal.

It took us about 3 hours, but we got "Ode to Weird Food" day mostly completed.

I found a recipe for Watermelon Granita because we had way more leftover watermelon that we could ever eat. The recipe called for seedless watermelon, but Camilla was mostly a trooper picking the seeds out.   

Tony is a HUGE fan of Dairy Queen's Mr. Mistys or whatever they are called now. (Artic Rush maybe?)  I am hoping this will meet the need!

Then, we moved on to spinach processing.  Both the green smoothies and the green goblin muffins require pureed spinach.  (I substituted watermelon for the pineapple in the muffin recipe because, like I said, we had too much watermelon.)  I'm not sure I've ever used the blender as much as I did today!

After making the green foods, I needed to make something more normal.  I whipped up a batch of oatmeal peanut butter cookies.  The recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies, but my willpower isn't that good so I baked 9 of them, and froze the rest of the dough in preformed balls for easy baking later on.

This is the final tally of the afternoon.  
The bowl in the back left of the picture is mock tuna salad- a favorite of mine and Chloe's.  We also hard boiled a dozen eggs for easy snacks and lunches.  There is one batch of chocolate zucchini muffins, too.  (I had planned on two more items,
but Chloe's absence was too much for us to vercome, and we didn't get it all done!)

Comments

Jana said…
OOOooo, next baking day I'm in! What great treats!
Jana said…
OOOooo, next baking day I'm in! What great treats!

Popular Posts