Money Monday!

Welcome to the first Money Monday of 2012!

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas season, and that you have survived reviewing the finances post Christmas!  We actually haven't looked at the budget in weeks, something I don't recommend, but I'm fairly confident all has not been lost.

Our no-presents Christmas was definitely different.  The kids each had a stocking with one candy item, one package of gum, and one can of soda.  (Coralynn was thrilled with her own can of Fresca!)  Then, they each had one present from the grandparents.  The entire experience took about 15 minutes, and that was because Coralynn insisted on "reading" the gift bag before she opened it.  I can remember one Christmas morning that baby Camilla had to take a nap during because it was so long!

(Carson in his Christmas present: John Reed shoes.
John Reed wears the high-tops,
but this is the Carson version of the John Reed shoes!)


After we opened presents, my brother and his wife had the kids choose something from Heifer International's catalog.  They chose several different items to give to families in developing nations.  It was super cute listening to Camilla explain that she had chosen a "gift basket" of chicks and rabbits.

The one, very minor, hiccup of the whole experience was me not taking Chloe's sentimental nature seriously enough.  The past 4 or 5 Christmases I've gotten the kids a pair of Christmas PJ's that they open on Christmas Eve.  It made for cute pictures on Christmas morning.  I briefly considered giving them the pajamas but dismissed the idea.  About noon on Christmas Eve, Chloe quietly asked me if the no-presents extended to the jammies.  I told her it did, and she sadly said, "ok."  I should have realized that tradition was important to her and not because she wanted new jammies.  She, like Tony, is sentimental and enjoys the tradition of it.  Oops.  My bad.  Next time, we will do the Christmas Eve pajamas.

Overall, the whole family agreed that the presents weren't missed, and everyone really enjoyed the amount of giving of this holiday season!  I know that no-presents isn't going to work for everyone (and, obviously, we had a little bit of presents), but I highly recommend it.  I'm not sure we will do it exactly the same way next year, but I think this is a Christmas the kids will always remember in a positive light.

********

(I also wanted to let you know that Tony and I are making some big budgetary changes this year.  After we have a chance to sit down with budget, we'll have a more complete picture of the changes.  Lord willing, I'll be able to share with you next week our new budget goals.  The sneak peek:  The house we're saving for just got a whole lot smaller.)

Comments

Popular Posts