Funsy Friday- Day One!

I've been reading about the health benefits of coconut oil, so I wanted to give it a try.  Unfortunately, coconut oil is not easily found here, and when I did find it, it was very expensive.  (About twice the price of in the US).

Since I'm in Panama and can easily find coconuts, I decided I was going to make it from scratch using this recipe.   It's a 5-day process, but we're going to give it a try!

Day One:

(well actually yesterday, Day One Eve) I asked my language trainer, Melody, to pick up some coconuts for me because she has a produce vendor living near to her house. 

Cost of 2 coconuts: $1

This morning's mission was to get the things open.  I was a little concerned when Melody started laughing at the thought of me trying to open the fruit, but after a google search, I came up with my plan of attack.


Power Drill!

It became very clear very quickly that power drill wasn't the way to go.  Five more minutes of googling came up with plan B.

Hammer and Nail!

The new opening directions came with the tip to go through the eyes of the coconut.  Yes, that made me feel badly for the little guy, but I convinced myself it wouldn't feel anything and hammered away.  It took about 5 minutes, but I was able to break through the eyes to release the water.

Yay!  It is draining!


I had NO idea how much coconut water was inside a coconut!

I need to get a shower, clean up the raisin mess Coralynn made while I was hammering coconuts, and get her to her doctor's appointment, BUT stay tuned because the next step is coming this afternoon:  Whack the coconut into pieces!

See you later!



Comments

Elizabeth said…
Is that the same power drill capable of producing homemade icecream?!? LOL We enjoy our coconut oil. Fabulous for lots of stuff!
Anonymous said…
Just out of curiosity, did you try to drill through the eye, or through the side?

Actually, the thought of you weilding a drill is funny enough. But a pict. of you with the drill and the coconut would be priceless!

This afternoon: Whack-A-Mole, anyone?
A.
Very cool! Coconut oil is very good. And coconut milk!

Popular Posts