It's not just about gratitude today.

Happy Thanksgiving, folks.  This is the day of thanks and gratitude, and I hope you are aware of how blessed you are.  I was thinking about listing my many blessings from the last year, but I was overcome with how good the Lord has been to my family this past year. 


Blessings are kind of an interesting thing.  The Lord tells us to rejoice in the day He has made.  We're told to give thanks in all things.  Our lives- not a single day in November- need to have a spirit of gratitude.  I know I am blessed, and I know I'm not even aware of how blessed I am.  I take so much for granted that I lack total awareness.   But, sometimes, blessings can be hurtful. 

Sometimes in our humanity, lists of blessings remind us what we're missing this holiday season.  The Bible also tells us to mourn with those who mourn, and to comfort those who need to be comforted.  Holidays are hard for some people.  This Thanksgiving, people are reminded of not only their blessings, but their losses, too.

For those of you struggling with the loss of a loved one, the pain of divorce, the fear of an illness, or the dark cloud of depression, know that I have prayed.  I prayed that the peace that passes all understanding would be near to you this holiday season.  I pray that you are acutely aware of how blessed you are even as you feel the pain of your hurt.  The Lord cares about that hurt- even on Thanksgiving Day.   And my favorite passage of the Bible, so relevant today, Hebrew 4:15-16

For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Jesus knows our hurt.  In His hunanity (and His divinity), He's felt the pain that makes you feel alone today.  You are not alone because He is not unsympathetic.  Go boldly to Him today.  Allow Him to heal you.  And allow thanksgiving to overcome you. 

Happy Thanksgiving.  I am so thankful for you.

Comments

Popular Posts