What's in a Name?

I told you months ago that I choose a Bible verse for my kids instead of worrying too much about the actual meaning of their names.   Last weekend, I had Carson cleaning the bookshelves, and he stumbled upon our old baby name book.  He was flipping through looking for everyone's names.  He found his own name and brought the book to show me.

What does Carson mean?  (at least according to this book that I didn't own when I named him)





Confident.  Could there be a better name for this child? 

Once we discovered the accuracy of "Carson", we decided to check the other kids' names. 

Chloe:


Flowering.  Yes, I think that would be accurate.  She's growing into an awesome young lady.  So the book is now 2 for 2 on names.  Up next, Camilla.



Wonderful.  Her response, "sounds right."  Yes, dear.  You are wonderful.  The book is now the creepy-prophetic-baby-name book.  We decided to look up Coralynn confident it wouldn't be in the book.  Tony and I made up the name (our combination of Caroline and Linford) on the way to a shopping trip in Columbus, Georgia.




This was going to requires further investigation. (Although I love it was directly above "corazon"- heart.  She is near my heart!)

Cora:


and Lynn:



So, "Coralynn" is a combination of giving and fresh as spring water.  Coralynn definitely gives us plenty of joy and happiness.  And we love looking at the world through her fresh perspective.  I think the prophetic book got it again.

In Proverbs 22, the Bible says that "a good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold."   I probably should have put more thought into what my kids' names literally meant before I chose them.  I'm blessed to have the opportunity, as a stay-at-home mom, to focus my life on being their mom.  I'm even more grateful to my husband who has made that possible.  Beyond all else, I am humbled and awed by the grace and mercy the Lord has chosen, in His goodness- not my worthiness, to shine on my life.

What does the book have to say about me?



I hope so!

Comments

Popular Posts