Sick Carson

Last Thursday, the kids had a half day of school.  When I picked them up at 12:30, Carson complained of having a headache.  This is not uncommon.  He's usually overly hungry, overly hot, and overly thirsty.  By the time we got home, he was super uncomfortable.  I told him to drink some water.

He guzzled down a few glasses of water and had some lunch.  By 1:30, he was in agony, and I thought he had a migraine.  He wanted to sleep so I gave him some Tylenol and put him in bed.  After a few hour nap, he woke up feeling sick to his stomach and the headache was still raging.  I was convinced he had a migraine. 

Friday morning, he woke up weak, but with no headache.  He wanted to go to school, and I assumed that his overall icky feeling was a result of the migraine.  I sent him to school thinking he would perk up when he saw his friends.

At 11:30, the school nurse called.  Carson had an upset stomach and a fever of 102.  Maybe this wasn't a migraine.  He spent the rest of the day in bed with the nausea and fever.  Saturday morning, when I returned from exercising, I found out his fever had broken.  Yay!  99.1.  I thought everything was looking up.

Chloe, Camilla and I ran to the mall and grocery store.  While we were having lunch, Tony called.  Carson had been in the restroom all morning.  We ran some more errands.  Carson ran some more to the restroom.  By the time the girls and I got home, Carson was in a lot of pain.

I asked Carson where it hurt, and he point to his lower right abdomen.  I began to wonder if we had appendicitis brewing.  I called our US pediatrician.  No answer.  I called a friend who is also a mom and asked for her opinion.  She was not sure what to do, either.  I called the US ped again.  No answer.

We made the decision to call our pediatrician here.  We have been planning on switching to another doctor, but had not made the switch.  We trust our pediatrician's medical knowledge, but her practice is a mess.  Regardless, Tony gave her a call.

She initially told us that it was nothing.  Then, she asked us to have Carson jump.  One jump, he doubled over in pain, and everyone decided he needed to go to the ER.  So, at 9pm on Saturday, Carson and Tony headed to the emergency room.

After urinalysis, bloodwork, ultrasound, iv fluids, and 3 hours, it was determined that Carson had a nasty virus that was causing his gut to be severely inflamed.  They made it home just after midnight with some medicine for Carson's stomach.

Sunday afternoon, we took Carson back to the hospital to have follow-up labwork done.  I received the results just a few minutes ago.  The labs are still outside the normal range but are better than they were on Saturday night.  We are waiting to hear from our pediatrician for the next step.  (This is where this pediatrician becomes frustrating!  I'm hoping we get in touch with her soon!)

This is certainly not how Carson wanted to end his school year, and he keeps telling me that he can't believe his missed the end-of-the-year party.  I'm again thankful to have access to good medical care!

Comments

Popular Posts