Our Healthy Journey...

We've been continuing on with our health journey here.  Everyone is getting accustomed to our new dietary rules, and most cravings have subsided.



I began a new exercise program, and I've been super pleased with the results.  I was reading about many people who were seeing success with a program called Couch to 5K that I had to give it a try.  Each day, for 8 weeks, you go through a walk/run program to train you to be able to run longer.  I decided to skip the first week because it was too easy.  After completing the second week of the program, I ran/walked a 5K on the treadmill just to see how I did.  I managed to complete the 3.1 miles in 37.44.  I was thrilled with that time since it was my first attempt.

We've been so excited by the new exercise plan that Tony, Carson, my Dad and I decided to run a 5K while we are in the US.  Our hometown in IL has a festival each July, and it includes races on Saturday morning.  The rest of the family will be participating in the One Mile Fun Run (or mosey).  I'm hoping to get my time down to 33 by then.  I'll let you know how it goes!

I am no longer counting calories because I've eliminated almost all "unhealthy" food from my diet.  I've been pleased that the consistent exercise is proving itself valuable both in my body's shape and in the scale's number.  This morning I weighed in at...


143!
For an 11 pound loss since I started!

I have no idea the last time I weighed that little and was healthy.  I suffered through a depression starting in 2007, and my weight was consistently in the 130s.  I have no desire to return to a weight in that range!  I am wondering if, at some point, the continued exercise will cause my weight to increase as a add muscle.  Regardless, I am completely comfortable with my weight being between 143-145.  Those numbers give me a BMI of 19.4 which is considered to be in the healthy range!!

As I've walked along this path to health, I've been most surprised by how much I've enjoyed taking control of my eating and exercising.  I love feeling better.  I love the sense of victory when I run longer or farther that I thought I could.  I love knowing that saying "no" to junk food is saying "yes" to health.  I absolutely know that my days are in God's hand, but I love being a good steward of the body He's given me for those days!

Comments

Elizabeth said…
Thought I'd calculate my BMI just for fun...not so fun! LOL I'm sure my math was wrong or something like that...

Can't wait for pics of your family at the finish line from the 5K race!

Popular Posts