#TeamUs

Today was Walk-a-thon at my school.  This is absolutely my favorite event the school does.  It was at Walk-a-thon 2012 that we discovered Carson's running ability.  Any community-building activity that involves physical fitness brings me joy.

This year, I was tasked with running/walking the 90-minute event.  Any female secondary students who ran more laps than I did would earn bonus points on a test.  I was super pleased I was able to complete 6 laps (about 6.6 miles).  I'm fairly confident that I had one more in me, but a middle school girl finished lap 6 just a few feet in front of me.  There was no way she had another lap in her, so I stopped.  No reason to ruin her hard work just in the name of proving something to myself.

I did, however, prove to myself that I miss running.  More importantly, I proved to myself that I'm still able to run.  I didn't win any awards or set any records, but I did it.  I ran more than a 10k in less than 90 minutes.  That's something I'm proud of because 1.) I told myself last year that I'm just not a runner and 2.) I hadn't trained for this at all.  I'm excited to see my confidence build as I work back into running.



More than my own lap numbers, I'm super proud of Team Us. This beautiful family of mine ran a combined 33 laps (just over 36 miles)  Carson actually completed the most laps the fastest of anyone at today's event.

I love that everyone agreed to come to my work function.  I love that everyone ran instead of just playing on phones.  I love that healthy, fun is part of our life. Healthy living is a relatively new addition to our collective lives, and I couldn't be happier with the results.  Not the weight or endurance results, but the self-confidence and positive attitude results.   I love that I'm part of the fitness.  I didn't start doing anything fitness-like in my life until 2012.  I'm so grateful that I don't just have to sit on the sidelines (though I love cheering for my people).  I am able to participate.  That isn't a blessing I take for granted.

To many more miles together,
L

Comments

Popular Posts