It's Friday Afternoon.

The Bits is sleeping.  The dog is, too.

The big kids are at school.

Tony's at work.

And, I'm sitting here.

I've been to the grocery store.

I've made some phone calls, scheduled some play dates, and searched the internet for recipes.

It's a same-old kind of day.

And, you know what?

I like that.

We have a busy weekend planned, but normally, my life is not crammed full with stuff to do.

I don't have to be running around all the time.

I get no joy from being on the move.  I know other people do, but that's not me.

Yesterday, I was talking about folding laundry, and I teared up.

Why?

Because I feel so blessed to be the one folding that laundry.  I love being able to be a stay-at-home mom and have my focus be on my family. 

And, I am so blessed to have these people in my life who need their laundry folded.

I enjoy opportunities to serve others.  I think of all the things I used to do at church in Georgia- AWANA, Sunday School, Birthday Party for Jesus, Vacation Bible School, Coupon Workshops.  I loved that life.  So much.

But, it was for a season.

That season is over, and I had no idea how much I'd miss it at first.  I felt purposeless.  Unvalued.  Disposable.

I was even more surprised by the depth of joy and fulfillment I would experience from this focused season of serving my family. 

Yes, I get tired of pulling clothes out of the dirty-clothes hamper that are still folded because someone in the C-crowd decided it was easier to just throw it in the dirty clothes.

Sure, I have my fill of washing cups that were used for a quick drink of water and thrown in the sink.

But, in the big picture of work, my complaints are nothing.  They are not nothing.  My complaints are blessings.

Wednesday morning Coralynn and I went to the school to watch Chloe be part of the chapel worship team.

I did not have time to go because we needed groceries, but Chloe clearly wanted me there so I was at the grocery store Tuesday night at 8pm to try to get everything done.  I was glad I went because Chloe was happy to see me, but I didn't think much of it.

Yesterday morning, I was up and dressed for Bible study when I went in to get Coralynn.

She took one look at me and asked, "I come too?"

"No, baby girl, not this time."

"You go see Row-E sing?

"No.  I'm going to Bible study."

"I wike Row-E sing.  Go 'gin?"

"Not sure, we'll have to ask Chloe."

The conversation moved on from there to topics of potty training and breakfast.

But, as always, Coralynn refocused my thoughts. 

I didn't really want to go to chapel, and I hadn't wanted to take Coralynn with me.  She's loud, and Chloe doesn't like anything that could potentially resemble making a scene.  Unfortunately, my nanny was late so I had to take Bits.

But, it wasn't unfortunate.  It was a blessing.

I got to be there to hold my youngest as she admired my oldest praising the One who created us all!

What else would I want to be doing? 

Maybe someday it won't take a toddler to explain life to me.

Comments

Popular Posts