May 13.

"It was the best of times; it was the worst of times."  Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities.  And me from this week.

Let's just get the major low points out of the way.  I had to get a CT scan.  I *hate* radiation.  I'm like psychotically opposed to it, and CT scans are my least favorite form of it.  I avoid the microwave.  I don't go through the airport scanners.  I've refused dental x-rays for a decade, but the doctor said the ct was really necessary, so I had the scan done.  (This is not the moment you should comment about how your uncle had a ct scan and died of cancer later that week.)  Fortunately, it went smoothly, and I was out in 30 seconds. 

Once I got home, major low point number two happened.  I dropped my phone in water.  In the toilet.  So not exactly in water.  And, the phone still has not recovered.  I'm fighting back panic because I'm not sure what's backed up and what isn't.  I do have all my photos backed up in google photos, so they are all there.  WhatsApp photos are still in question.  90% of the contacts should be saved, as well.  Probably not going to be a major issue, but it's a major hassle that I don't have time to deal with right now.

On to happier news, my AP US History class took the AP exam on Friday!!!  And, they all feel confident that they passed!!  Woohoo!  I couldn't care any less if they pass, but it makes my heart incredibly proud that they feel like they could and did.  That's the battle I've fought for them all year.

I got a message (back when I had a phone) that they were going to finish the test at 12:15.  I sat on the bench outside the classroom and just waited for them to emerge.  A passerby mentioned I looked like I was waiting for a birth announcement.  It was such a relief to be greeted by students who were running to me with excitement after a job done well.  Even better, they wanted to celebrate their success with me.  I love being a teacher, but every day doesn't feel like the work is worth it.  On Friday, it did. 

After the moment passed, I remember thinking that I wish someone would have taken a picture of that moment.  When I came home from school 3 hours later, I told Chloe that I wished I had pictures of that moment.  Not an hour later, I started getting messages from a friend.  Photos.  Of the moment.  I could not hold back the tears.  Julie B. got me photos of that moment.  Relief.  Excitement.  Pride.  Confidence.  Enjoy the photos with me...










To the worst thing happening being a loss of stuff and an attack on anxiety; to the best thing being kids you love like your own realizing they are capable,
L









Comments

Popular Posts