March 11.

Every so I often I remember that I actually am in control of my life. 

(Yes, I know, Jesus is in charge.  Thanks, Sunday School Attender!  But that really isn't the point of this blog post.)

Every so I often I remember that I actually am in control of my life.  And there's lots of stuff in my life that I make choices about everyday. 

This week, I realized that I have control over the choices I make.  That sounds so obvious when I type it out and when you read it.  But, I'd lost my way a little bit.

I'd gotten a tinch complain-y and heading toward a victim attitude.  Then, I was listening to someone bemoan her life options.  I said to her, "You made all the choices that got you here.  And, you agree with the choices you made.  You'd make them again.  Then why are you frustrated about your life?"

BOOM.  Holy Spirit conviction on my life.

You know those 10 pounds that are making you miserable?  Get off your hiney and exercise!
You know that silence you've been hearing from Jesus?  Go get in the Word!
You know that momma guilt that you'd NEVER experienced until the past few years?  Stop blaming work and go make a life with your family!

On and on, it went.

And I did something about it.

(the pink note on the left says "Spent time with Jesus; loved on all the kids; showed gratitude")


I signed up for a 5k.  And I went for a run.  I got back into my Bible app and fell in love with Romans 13:7.  (I'm telling you that verse wasn't there last time I read Romans!)  I had a karaoke party with the girls and danced the salsa with Carson.

I purposed myself to gratitude and flossing.  (Seriously, I cannot get myself to floss regularly.  I'm not sure what my problem is.)  I readjusted my heart back to what rest means to me.  Doing nothing drains my heart and soul.  Sitting around having alone time does not rejuvenate me; it depresses me.  After I long day, I'm tired.  In my laziness, I throw myself on the bed and fiddle on my phone.  Life passes me by while the discouragement grows. 

Then, I remember that I am in control of my life.  Yes, it is hard to go for a run after a hard day when it's 90 degrees outside.  But, a life of meaningless rest, amazingly enough, brings meaninglessness.  After a run, I'm hot, smelly and refreshed.  I am able to listen to my girls' stories, and Carson's statistical discoveries.  Exhausted but filled is a day well lived.  And that's the choice I'm going to make.

To intentional decisions and purposeful rest,
L


Comments

Popular Posts