January 14th

This morning, Tony, the 3 younger kids, and I ran in our favorite little no-pressure race.  It's no pre-registration, amble parking, decide at the last minute how far you feel like running affair.  And we love it.

Today, Coralynn, Camilla, and I ran one mile while Tony and Carson took on 3 miles.  Carson ended up with a personal best, and Coralynn beat Camilla and me for the first time ever.  It was a super fun time. Chloe was doing a 2-hour bike ride with her triathlon team, so she was unavailable to join us.

As I was running behind my little girls, watching them put forth enthusiastic effort, I was struck my how much I like my people. I often read other people's Facebook status when they are trashing their kids or husbands or wives.  It makes me sad that there doesn't seem to be a general liking in so many families.  (Or people just post their worst feelings online?)

For this Sunday's blog, let's look at the three things this week that make me really like my people...


1. Chloe's Cross Country Fail.

Wednesday was the first day of school since Christmas for my children, and Chloe didn't feel amazing.  Thursday, she had cross country practice.  She came home with the tears just below the surface.  After some serious pushing- I was an interrogator in a former life- she explained that her mile time was way slower than she's capable.  As she tells the story, she had gotten sick during the first portion, run to the bathroom, and then asked to redo her mile.  Her time wasn't great.  Now, you and I can see that if you've already done a partial best mile lap and you've run to the bathroom, you're redo time isn't going to be your top number, but she was devastated.  Carson sat and watched her berate herself and question everything she believed to be true about her ability.  He told her that she was being too hard herself- that she had put forth good effort- that it would be better next time.  She looked at him, her 13-year-old brother, and told him he was just saying that because he's always supportive of her.  Um, wait, did a 15-year-old girl just tell her little brother that his positivity wasn't helping because he's always that way?? 

I like my people because they believe in each other.

2.  My falling apart at the seams.

I've decided that this year I'm walking through every door.  If the Lord throws something in my path, I'm going to see where it leads.  (within reason, right)   So, I've been doing crazy things like applying to graduate school and other leaps of faith.  After one of these leaps, I did a little research. ( I am the poster child for ready. fire. aim.)  In that research, I realized one of my dreams that I'm kind of walking toward isn't possible because of non changeable factors.  Coralynn came in as I was moving toward acceptance but a crying mess.  She asked what was wrong, and I told her that my dreams were feeling like they never become realities.  Perhaps a little dramatic for a seven-year-old child, but sometimes kids need a transparent peek into their parents.  She kind of cocked her head to the side and walked out slowly.  The day carried on without further incident from me.  Around bedtime, 10ish hours later, Coralynn and I were wakling upstairs to my bedroom.  She looked up at me and said, "Mom, I've been thinking about what we need to do to make your dreams realities."  I have no idea what else she had to say because I was too busy scooping her up and kissing her sweet face.

I like my people because we're on the same team.

3.  Tony and bears and goldfish and Usain Bolt and the kids.

Yesterday I had to go to a training, and I came home to much conversation about bears.  "If you're attacked by a grizzly bear, act dead.  But if it's a black bear, don't act dead because they eat dead stuff."  Umm.  Huh?  "And Michael Phelps is slower than a goldfish."  What are these people talking about?  Apparently, Tony had stumbled on some animal fun facts and was sharing them with the kids who were only slightly less confused with what he was talking about than I was.  But, Tony, never one to be deterred by blank stares, decided to share the fun facts with me like it was a life and death situation.  (For what it's worth, if I'm ever being chased by a bear, I'll have a lot of questions beyond is this a grizzly or black bear.)  What is it about this that makes me like my family?  Well, I like that my kids have a silly dad.  I don't like silly, but I love that he provides it for them.  I like that I'm not sure Tony was intending to be silly.  He is the walking encyclopedia of sometimes factual information, and I think he was just sharing the wealth.  Leaving an inheritance if you will.  But, whatever the reason, Carson and Camilla can recite back to you everything Tony was telling them.

I like that my people honor one another.

Tomorrow is the first day of school for my students.  I'm sure next Sunday will be full of anecdotes and exhaustion.  And I look forward to seeing you then,
L

Comments

Popular Posts