What A First Week! And Whales!

Last week, the first week of school, was something else.  Something like terrible.  Really, really bad. I wanted to quit.  The irony of that is not lost on me.  I wanted to quit when the Lord had already given me the word to finish well.  Nice, Lisa.

Saturday, we were scheduled to go whale watching because when we went last year, it was miserable weather, and we barely saw whales.  Even with that, it was an amazing time, but I wanted to try again and have whales and sun!  My family had almost zero interest.  Coralynn was all in, but everyone was else was on the spectrum ranging from "heck no" to "I guess I could muster the will to go."

So, I scheduled the trip.

Quick aside:  I'm a pushy person.  And I don't like to miss out on life.  This combination means that once I've made the decision to go find whales, you had better believe that we're looking for whales.

Of course, rainy season decided to start in July, so the weather has been miserable.  I kept hoping that August would get the message, and that it would get awesome outside.  Friday night came, I checked the forecast, and my heart sank.  100% chance of precipitation for the entire day.  Lovely.  We called the boat captain and asked if we were still on.  He said, "Of course!" so I went with that.

Saturday morning, 6:00 am, and we were on our way to the Pearl Islands to find whales.  In the pouring rain.  And blowing winds.  And choppy seas.  In our boat without cover.  Camilla and Coralynn looked like two baby birds abandoned on a telephone wire getting soaking wet waiting for their momma to return and save them but knowing that she wasn't coming back because she was too determined to find whales.  Or something like that.

It really sucked.

At 7:45, I ask Captain Carlos when we would be arriving at the Islands.  He said 15 more minutes. Had he said 30 minutes, I would have had him turn the boat around.  It was that miserable, and I didn't want everyone getting pneumonia while we looked for whales- which we did see.  He also assured me that the weather was supposed to get better-ish about 8:00.  I begged God to let the weather get better.  This was after I asked my coworkers to pray for the day.

And do you know what????  It got awesome beautiful and stayed that way the entire rest of the day!!!

And do you know what????  We had the most amazing time!  We found whales and dolphins and rays and fish!

And do you know what????  Had I given up because it was dark and rainy, I would have totally missed one the best days ever!

And do you know what????  Of course this was God giving me a visual on why I'm not allowed to quit when it gets hard!

And do you know what????  We got into the car after the day, pulled out of the parking lot, and the rain began to fall.  How cool is that!

Picture time (27 pictures time- photo cred goes to Chloe unless she's in them and then who knows):

Heading out

That hat, though

Freezing before the rain even begins

Isn't she pretty

Lest you think I was kidding about the weather

Tony with the tuna he caught! (and first mate, Charlie)

Regardless of the weather, the bay is beautiful.
I'm not a beach and sand person, but I could stay on the ocean all day long.



Sopping wet and freezing cold, but ready to find fun after the rain stopped


Very wet, but still beautiful


Land ho!


The beauty is indescribable


Getting ready to snorkel!


More scenery


More cool photos courtesy of Chloe


Pretending I'm still buff


Remember Tony's tuna catch?  It made amazing sashimi!


The model at work


Snorkeling!


Pristine islands.
I kept thinking about this land is exactly the same as it's been since forever.  FOREVER.


The man who makes all my dreams realities- and forces the kids to participate


How cliche.  And my idea.


Love him!








To living life boldy- even in the rain- because we know the sun is coming,
L




Comments

Popular Posts