Another Little Thing

*I keep hoping that there will be exciting house news that I can share on the blog.  I've been told for the last several days that the lease will be available to sign soon.  I don't want to wait any longer, but I will because I want to make sure the information accurate!*

But, as I wait, the Lord is showing my heart some of His graciousness to us. I think the joy of every parent is seeing that your kids "get it."  That whatever value you've spent innumerable hours teaching has sunk in.  As we were house hunting, I got a glimpse that Camilla got it.

One of the priorities of Tony's and my life together is to love other people.  I want the people in our lives to know they matter.  I want our family to not be defined solely by blood relationships.  I want our home to be filled with love and laughter- and the more the merrier.  Tony, the introvert in the relationship, has been beyond understanding in my open-door policy.  He welcomes everyone I bring home.  He has never complained about the financial or time investment that my passion takes.  He's walked alongside me, keeping me level as people hurt or disappoint.  I've always hoped that my kids- extroverts and introverts alike- would learn to love as a normal part of life.

A few weeks ago, when I decided to take the kids house shopping, we had lots of conversations about not touching things or making too much noise.  Camilla, the ever-present adult in my life, was giving me her HGTV inspired thoughts about curb appeal and bonus spaces.  Then, she made the comment. As we were walking through an apartment living space, she looked up at me and said, "Mom, I'm not sure this apartment has room for everyone to come to Salad Night.  I don't think it will work for us."

Salad night is this crazy Monday night ministry turned family reunion that I started completely on a whim 3 years ago.  The point was to provide some teachers that I knew (who weren't my coworkers at the time) an opportunity to get a free meal in a safe place.  Now, it's an absolute staple in our lives. And, Camilla gets it.

She understands that Salad Night isn't something we do.  It's something we are.  She understands that if the house isn't big enough for Salad Night than it isn't big enough for us.  It's really similar to trying to get a 2-bedroom house.  It just doesn't work for us.  A place for people is the only way we can live.

I've made many parenting mistakes.  And, because God rocks, He allows my kids to be more than the sum of my mistakes.   My parenting wins are really a celebration of a faithful, relational God.

To victories that aren't ours but we get to celebrate anyway,
L

Comments

Popular Posts