Camilla.

(This is bragging.  Be forewarned.  I like my kids.  They're not perfect, but I am a huge fan of them.)


(She's standing in front of a drawing on her poster.  She doesn't have a hair thing on- just looks like it)


Today, Camilla's class did a "wax museum" project where they presented about their leader.  The leader they chose had to come from their home country.  When she was originally assigned the project, Camilla was kind of stumped.  She doesn't have huge American history knowledge, and she was having trouble coming up with people.  I mentioned George Washington.  She wrinkled up her nose and said, "Mom- he's great, but he's so George Washington."  Seems like a reasonable argument??  So, she thought a bit more and decided she wanted to be the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  I told her that I thought it was solid choice.  (Had I known she had to dress like him for the presentation, I might have gone with someone different...)

When I got there today, I was not expecting much.  Mostly, I was relieved I could make it.  Being there for Camilla matters to her, and I was glad I was available.  I walked into the MPR to find kids dressed as all different kinds of leaders.  The usual suspects were there along with some people who were new to me.  I quickly found Camilla and headed over to hear the speech. 

She began with the normal biographical stuff, and I listened with as much interest as I could find.  She then went through other assorted information eventually coming to the why of her decision to choose him.  As I leaned closer to hear her explanations, I was shocked.

I chose Martin Luther King because we have the same passion- equality.  Last year, I did a project on gender inequality in education.  Now I am focused on racial inequality.  Like Dr. King in his 'I Have A Dream' speech, I believe that all people should be equal because we share a mutual identity (the child said "mutual identity") as flawed humans.  Like Dr. King, I want to work toward racial- and gender- equality.

Y'all, she is 11.  Camilla Rosee, sweet and kind, has some deep thoughts and some big goals.  Sometimes I think I convince myself that Type A people change the world.  Listening to this mild mannered, soft spoken child speak about her determination to end inequality, I'm beginning to question that assumption.  Maybe it's quiet confidence with deep conviction that actually changes the world?

All I know is that as I sit here, with the insanity of the news is the background, I'm confident that the hope of this world is not in the vain and the rich and the powerful.  (Why would we ever think it would be?  The persona of Jesus rejected that belief.)  Maybe, instead of the pompously bold that we flock to, Jesus is going to change the world through a little blonde girl who's willing to say "no more."

Maybe not.  But, I couldn't be any prouder of Camilla.  Ever.

To taking a stand,
L

Comments

Popular Posts